Saturday, April 30, 2011

"To learn to read is to light a fire" Victor Hugo

I had never actually sobbed while reading a book until the night before last.
My brothers and I love to read children's books aloud together. Admittedly, it has been selfish on my part from the first. I love good juvenile literature. Reading to my brothers is an acceptable way to indulge this. Let me add that I do have two other, more noble and altruistic, reasons for reading aloud to the boys. 1) I want them to develop a love for reading, and not just any books, but the best literature, the truly great books. 2) I want to teach them to analyze everything they read. This, of course, applies to every other area of life; we constantly have to be pushing everything we experience through the grid of Scripture, testing it to see if it is true. I do not want my precious brothers to passively accept all that they see, hear, experience. So, periodically, we'll pause and discuss the positive and negative attributes the various characters are displaying.

Anyhow, back to the other night. It was Edith Nesbit's book, The Railway Children that did it to me. My brothers, Joseph (9), James (8), Micah (5) and Elijah (3) were seated cozily around me and we were devouring the last chapter. ( WARNING: If you have not read this book, I'm going to give away the end a little.) Coming to the scene of reconciliation between the daughter and her father, I lost it. I tried to hold it back, but couldn't. It was the most precious scene. I thought of my own father and how blessed I am by him. I thought of the father in Alabama, who just this past Wednesday night, gave his life for his family's in shielding them with his own body from the terror of a tornado (for the story, see here). I thought of the joy that comes when a daughter ignores the world's lies about domineering patriarchy and the freedom of feminism and when she submits to and serves and loves her daddy with her whole heart, trusting in him completely. And I wept. And Elijah climbed into my lap and wiped my tears away with his hand. Need I say more than God has blessed me tremendously? My heart was full. 

The next book on our ever-increasing book list will not be as emotional. Miss Nesbit is also the author, in a way, of this work. She has taken certain Shakespeare's plays and rewritten them for children. I have always strongly desired to love (and be able to quote) Shakespeare, but somehow, I could not understand his plays. Perhaps this is because his plays are scripts for, well, plays and not meant to be read but seen. These story-forms of his plays I'm sure will help me and I can't wait to see what the boys think of them too. I know they will appreciate the fact that they won't make me cry. :)

Other books on the list include: Twice Freed by Patricia St John; The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff(an old favorite); The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken(another old favorite); a GA Henty book; and one of the Tom Swift, Young Inventor books by Victor Appleton plus many more. What are some of your 'old favorites'?

5 comments:

  1. I liked "The Railway Children," too. :) And "Twice Freed" was good, if I recall. I like the old Scout books by Piet Prins (sold on Vision Forum now), Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy books, the Jeri Massi series, Peabody Adventure Series and Bracken Trilogy, the Boxcar Children, other mystery series. I didn't read a lot of old classics, as you see, which is sad. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying reading with your brothers! I'm sure it will give you all sweet memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and of course I loved the Little House series, though I only read it once! (One or two of the books I've read more than that. I want to read them again someday soon.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have just discovered the Just William series by Richmal Crompton. It's about a verrry mischievous 11 yr. old boy who tries so hard to be good and quiet, but the harder he tries, the more trouble he get's into :) It's really cute and amusing. There are 40 books in all, published in the 1920' and 30's. Haven't found them in print, but have been listening to them via Project Gutenberg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa! I've been thinking of the Old Scout series for the boys. I've heard they're excellent. The boys and I have read a few Little House books - the first four, I think. We enjoyed them immensely.
    Lauren, I went to Project Gutenberg and found Just William for the Kindle! Now, I just need Andrew to show me how to download it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, The Railway Children, that brings to mind so many wonderful memories; have you by any chance seen the BBC movie? The ending is somewhat different, but nonetheless, it is charming.
    Right now my dad is reading aloud The Coral Island by R.M. Ballantyne. I highly recommend it!
    When I was little some of my favorite books were the Lamplighter books, as well as the Nancy Drew series and the Henry Reed books.
    What beautiful memories you are making by reading to your brothers. That is so encouraging!
    I am so glad that I stumbled upon your blog!
    May God bless you as you continue to fight the good fight of the faith!

    ReplyDelete