Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oh, to blog

Debates with myself about blogging took a long time to resolve. Too much time, too much energy, there are thousands of blogs all ready, etc. But my daily Bible reading this last week finally pushed me over the edge.
At the beginning of the year, I challenged myself with the task of reading through the Bible in a year*. Our family typically does this but we've grown to love taking our time through books of the Bible, reading a text over and over and really digging deep instead of flying through at breakneck speed. But, I wanted the best of both worlds and so... here I am in the book of Exodus, chapter 31. And as I read about Bezalel the son of Uri the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah, my eyes fixed on this:

"The LORD said to Moses, 'See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver and bronze, cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, to work in every craft.' " Exodus 31:1-5

I thought, Certainly I don't have the talent for writing that Bezalel had for craftsmanship, but I absolutely need to be about the business of cultivating my gifts for the Glory of God, so I can have them ready when called upon.
So here am I, blogging.








* I use the Bible Reading plan at the back of my beloved ESV Study Bible - it's wonderful in that it has you read a passage from each of the four main genres every day.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So excited to keep up with your blog! I added you to my links on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete