Thursday, May 5, 2011

Newsflash: Girl Bit by Baking Bug

My sister and I have these two wonderful friends who happen to be sisters. They are about the same age as we are and it's been delightful, becoming acquainted with them the past 4 months. Now, these said girls are unbelievably talented at a host of things. They play classical harp, violin, piano; they sew, decorate, remodel homes; they garden (a big one too!) and raise meat and egg-laying chickens as well as Texas longhorn cattle. But, for me, the talent that pushes them over the edge is their expertise as Chef de Cuisine's in the kitchen. They are amazing! When we've been to their house, I love to see (and try) their most recent endeavors. It's most inspiring for myself, an aspiring amateur. Leaving their home, I'm always itching to try something new in the kitchen. My jurisdiction is breakfast these days, with my younger sister having taken over the lunches and dinners, and, this morning, the baking bug bit me.

Apple-Nutmeg Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping
by Elizabet Hailey all by herself
1 cup Wheat Flour
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt plus a tiny bit more (I know, I know, baking is supposed to be a science and specific, but you'll have to forgive me here - there are no 3/8 teaspoons!)
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
3/4 t. nutmeg
3 eggs
1 cup kefir (a runny kind of yogurt, you may substitute 3/4 cup yogurt plus 1/4 cup milk)
6 T. melted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 medium sized apple (I used Granny Smith), peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
3/4 cup walnuts
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut parchment paper into 6 inch squares, to fit your muffin tins. Fold the paper into the tins; they will pop out but don't worry because the batter will hold them down when the time comes. Whisk the dry ingredients together. Then whisk the wet ingredients together thoroughly. (pop quiz: is sugar a wet or dry ingredient?*) Fold the wet and dry together carefully. In this step it is critical not to over-do. A lumpy texture is what raises muffins above cupcakes (which have more of a fine, uniform texture). DO NOT OVER MIX. Gently, gently fold in apple bits, cranberries and walnuts until just barely combined. Now I should tell you something. I needed two small apples and only had one, so I subbed cranberries for the missing apple. You make them with whichever you have on hand.  Scoop the batter into the prepared tins. Fill them about 2/3 full.
Now for the Streusel topping!
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 T. flour (I used 2 wheat and 1 white)
3/4 t. cinnamon
3 T. melted butter
Mix together all ingredients. Sprinkle a generous 2 t. of streusel on each muffin. Bake for 22 minutes. Makes 24 muffins. Note: Make the topping before the muffin batter. It makes more sense.








*Sugar is a wet ingredient. It dissolves so quickly in liquid, this classifies it as wet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elizabeth! You are so funny.... I do not think those things mentioned are such a "talent". But, its sweet of you to think so!

    Looking forward to more of your endeavorers!

    Blessings--
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made butterscotch cupcakes for Mother's Day (YUMMY) and used your idea for muffin cup liners; they looked so beautiful and elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete